The Upper Merion Area School District Special Education Department provides a quality individualized education to students with specific academic, emotional, social and/or physical needs in a safe and stimulating environment. We believe that all students can learn and provide students with supports and services to ensure that they remain in their least restrictive environment. Our staff strives to have all students reach their maximum potential academically, socially, and emotionally while learning to be a productive member of their community.
Special Education Department Goals
- We will work with parents to develop Individualized Education Plans as a team that will meet the individual needs of all students.
- We will collaborate with regular education teachers, school psychologists, speech therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and other related service providers to ensure that all student needs are being met in the least restrictive environment.
- We will protect our students’ dignity and respect their confidentiality.
- We will create a learning environment that promotes respect, responsibility, and trust while also supporting families.
- We will use differentiated instruction to provide appropriate instruction for students of all abilities and learning styles.
- We will develop and incorporate strategies and accommodations so that students with handicapping conditions can participate in the general education curriculum to the fullest extent possible.
- We will allow opportunities for students to be productive members of their school community and will promote positive relationships between all students.
- We will help students to develop the skills needed to prepare for life after school.
John MoodyDirector of Student Services