Resources for Learning at Home
Hello Caley Families! During these challenging times, your UMASD librarians have been hard at work gathering resources to support your continuing reading and learning at home. Check back as this list will be continually updated.
Famous authors read aloud and do activities:
- Peter Reynolds - will be reading aloud from his books 12:00 pm EST Daily. www.facebook.com/PeterHamiltonReynolds/
- Mo Willems - (lunch doodle) - 1:00pm EST - every weekday https://www.kennedy-center.org/education/mo-willems/
- Oliver Jeffers (book reading and discussion) – 2pm EST on Facebook - every weekday https://www.facebook.com/oliverjeffersart/
- Jarrett Krosoczka - (art lesson & more) - 2pm EST YouTube http://www.youtube.com/StudioJJK
- Dan Gutman - (reading) - 2pm EST on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Dan-Gutman-60020139122/
- Mac Barnett – (book reading) - 3pm EST on Instagram - every weekday https://www.instagram.com/stories/macbarnett/
- Brian Biggs - reading his books for younger children on his Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/brian.biggs.127
- Elizabeth Eulberg - reading and discussion - The Great Shelby Holmes http://www.viewpure.com/PTCYCNCDUFY?start=0&end=0
- Matt Phelan - our visiting author! Enjoy video book trailers, a tour of his studio, his description of his creative process, and more https://www.mattphelan.com/video.html
FREE ONLINE BOOKS!
- Junior Library Guild, an amazing library resource, has shared their entire online book collection for free! http://jlg.ipublishcentral.com
- EPIC! provides an enormous library of free e-books and audio books at all reading levels, available during school hours: https://www.getepic.com/students. Your student can e-mail their classroom teacher if they need their classroom code to log on. OR, get a free 30-day family subscription https://www.getepic.com/promo.
- Upper Merion Township Library sign up for a library card online and have access to Montco's vast library of e-books and audio books https://www.umtownship.org/wpfb-file/application-librarycard-mclinc-pdf/
Other Learning Resources
- Upper Merion Township Library is webcasing LIVE Storytimes https://www.facebook.com/umtlibrary/
- This Upper Merion Township Library page contains links to dozens of reading, math and research sites https://www.umtownship.org/departments/library/elibrary/
- ABCYA Games: https://www.abcya.com/games/ (Click on Parents and Teachers, Membership Options, and then Free Subscriber)
- Time Magazine for Kids: https://www.timeforkids.com/ (Free access to articles)
- Brainpop: https://www.brainpop.com/ (Free access and great learning videos)
- Scholastic Learn at Home: https://classroommagazines.scholastic.com/support/learnathome.html
- Mystery Science - Doug, an elementary science teacher, has created this amazing portal of lessons and activities. Kids send in questions, like "how is a rainbow made?" and Doug walks us through the science and frequently provides step-by-step instructions for fun, inexpensive home science experiments: https://mysteryscience.com/school-closure-planning
- Just for kids: a comic explaining the coronavirus https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/02/28/809580453/just-for-kids-a-comic-exploring-the-new-coronavirus
Stay healthy and keep reading until we see each other again!
Missing you all,