Dear UMASD Families:
As some of you may be aware recent amendments to state law have led to changes in clearance requirements for school district employees and volunteers. PLEASE NOTE: These changes are in a state of flux because of amendments to the legislation being considered in both the State House and Senate. Additionally, the Governor has waived fees for the PA Criminal History Clearance and the PA Child Abuse Clearance. There is also a provision to the PA FBI Federal Criminal History Report (fingerprinting). If you have been a Pennsylvania resident for ten (10) consecutive years, prior to the date of your volunteer application, you may sign a waiver in lieu of obtaining the FBI Federal Criminal History Report clearance.
If you volunteer in the Upper Merion Area School District, you need to be aware of the following information for the upcoming school year:
1. Volunteers will be required to obtain the PA Criminal History Clearance and the PA Child Abuse History Clearance; and
2. Volunteers will be required to obtain the PA FBI Federal Criminal History Report if they have not been a Pennsylvania resident for ten (10) consecutive years prior to the date of their volunteer application. If, however, you have resided in PA for ten (10) or more consecutive years, you may submit an affidavit indicating so *; and
3. Volunteers will need to renew clearances and affidavits every five (5) years in order to remain in compliance.
Again, please note that these changes went into effect on July 1, 2015.
School volunteers are valuable members of the UMASD Family and when you donate your time and talents, you are helping Upper Merion Area School District continue to provide the tools, knowledge and resources for our students to succeed in and out of the classroom.
As a result of new Pennsylvania laws (starting July 1, 2015), all volunteers must complete and submit a Volunteer Application Form (CLICK HERE) and obtain the following three clearances:
- Child Abuse History Clearance
- Criminal Background Check
- FBI Background Check (Enter Service Code: 1KG6XN)
Once you have reviewed this information, please feel free to contact Mrs. Lisa Boccella, Personnel Clerk by email (email@example.com) or telephone (610-205-6419) with any questions or concerns. Thank you for all you do to support our schools!
* If you have been a PA resident for ten (10) consecutive years prior to the date of your volunteer application, you may sign a waiver in lieu of obtaining the PA FBI Federal Criminal History Report. This waiver is included as part of the application packet. Please submit a complete application with a copy of all clearances to the Upper Merion Area School District, Administration Building, 435 Crossfield Road, King of Prussia, PA 19406, Attention: Mrs. Lisa Boccella.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Frequently Asked Questions:
I already have clearances from my work with another organization. May I submit these to my child's school in order to volunteer?
Yes, provided the clearances are all under one year old. Please submit copies along with district
I don't remember how old my clearances are. How can I find out?
If you have kept the originals, refer to the date on the clearance forms to see when you obtained them.
If you cannot locate your originals, it is best to apply for new clearances.
If I am visiting a school, do I need to have my clearances done?
No. If you are visiting a school for a specific purpose, such as a parent teacher conference you are not
required to have clearances on file.
How much do the clearances cost?
Beginning July 25, 2015, there is no cost to obtain the Child Abuse History Clearance and Criminal History
Clearance as a volunteer. The FBI Federal Criminal History record (if required) cost is $22.60. The Upper
Merion Area School District does not reimburse for these costs.
I am not familiar with the FBI Criminal History Record report. How do I obtain this clearance?
The FBI Criminal History Record Report is a fingerprint-based record check. An applicant may schedule or
manage an appointment online (https://uenroll.identogo.com/) - using the service code: 1KG6XN).
Enrollment center locations may be found on the website (https://uenroll.identogo.com/.
Why do we have to get new clearances every five years?
In December 2014, the state amended Act 153 (Child Protective Services Law). The law was amended to
require that all school employees, contractors AND volunteers having direct contact with children to obtain
new clearances every sixty (60) months.
Thank you for your interest in serving as a volunteer!