Information for Parent Volunteers
School volunteers play an increasingly vital role in our schools. They improve instruction by permitting more individual help to students under the direction of a teacher; enrich curriculum by adding the experience of their interests, hobbies and avocations to the classroom teacher’s knowledge; increase community relations by bringing more adults from the community to the children to demonstrate the relevance of their education; and close the generation gap by providing more opportunities for children and adults to exchange ideas.
In order to volunteer in any of our school buildings, you must complete the application/form and submit the appropriate clearances as required by law on the Red Rover website (click HERE). The Governor has waived fees for the PA Criminal History Clearance and the PA Child Abuse Clearance. There is also a provision for the PA FBI Federal Criminal History Report (fingerprinting). If you have been a Pennsylvania resident for ten (10) consecutive years, prior to the date of your volunteer application, you may sign a waiver in lieu of obtaining the FBI Federal Criminal History Report clearance.
If you volunteer in the Upper Merion Area School District, you need to be aware of the following information for the upcoming school year:
1. Volunteers will be required to obtain the PA Criminal History Clearance and the PA Child Abuse History Clearance; and
2. Volunteers will be required to obtain the PA FBI Federal Criminal History Report if they have not been a Pennsylvania resident for ten (10) consecutive years prior to the date of their volunteer application. If, however, you have resided in Pennsylvania for ten (10) or more consecutive years, you may complete the affidavit section of the Application; and
3. Volunteers must renew clearances and affidavits every five (5) years from the date they were issued in order to remain in compliance.
School volunteers are valuable members of the UMASD Family and when you donate your time and talents, you are helping Upper Merion Area School District continue to provide the tools, knowledge and resources for our students to succeed in and out of the classroom.
As a result of new Pennsylvania laws, beginning July 1, 2015, all volunteers must complete and submit the following three clearances:
- Child Abuse History Clearance
- Criminal Background Check
- FBI Background Check (Enter Service Code: 1KG6XN)
Once you have reviewed this information, please feel free to contact Ms. Rose Wang, Personnel Department by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (610-205-6419) with any questions or concerns. Thank you for all you do to support our schools!
* If you have been a PA resident for ten (10) consecutive years prior to the date of your volunteer application, you may complete the affidavit section of the application. Please complete the application through Red Rover and attach all required clearances. Please allow three to five business days for processing. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that your complete application has been approved PRIOR to volunteering.