UMAAT (Upper Merion Area Assistance Team) is a team of specially trained staff members who are committed to assisting all students in need. The goal of the team is to provide a system of identification, intervention, referral, and after-care for students who exhibit "at-risk" behaviors. All work done by UMAAT is strictly confidential, and information is shared only with UMAAT team members. The team is not a disciplinary arm of the high school, and all aspects of the team’s work is designed to recommend a plan of action for identified students.
The process by which the team works is as follows:
· A referral is made to the team by a student, parent, counselor, or any staff person.
· The UMAAT team will contact the parent to discuss the referral and the possible services that can be offered by the team (exceptions may be made for emergency reasons).
· Information regarding the student’s academic progress, attendance and behavior at school will be gathered by the assigned “case manager” from the UMAAT team.
· The team will review the information and determine what type of intervention, if any, is needed.
· This information/recommendation will be made to the student and parent.
· If the student follows through with team recommendations, the team will continue to support and monitor the student’s progress to provide any other necessary supports.
· If the student is referred to and spends time at a care facility, a small group made up of a UMAAT team member, guidance counselor and community counselor will provide after-care upon his/her return to school.
Hotline Information for UMAAT and other outside service is available at any office within the High School, including the Nurse, Athletic Director or Counselors.