PPRA Model Notice and Consent/Opt-Out for Specific Activities
The Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA), 20 U.S.C.§ 1232h, requires Upper Merion Area School District to notify you and obtain consent or allow you to opt your child out of participating in certain school activities. These activities include a student survey, analysis or evaluation that concerns one or more of the following eight areas (“protected information surveys”):
- Political affiliations or beliefs of the student or student’s parent;
- Mental or psychological problems of the student or student’s family;
- Sex behavior or attitudes;
- Illegal, anti-social, self-incriminating or demeaning behavior;
- Critical appraisals of others with whom respondents have close family relationships;
- Legally recognized privileged relationships, such as with lawyers, doctors or ministers; or
- Income, other than as required by law to determine program eligibility.
This requirement also applies to the collection, disclosure or use of student information for marketing purposes (“marketing surveys”), and certain physical exams and screenings.