Welcome: Chemistry Honors Summer Review
Mrs. Hallquist- A309
- Completion of the entire review is optional; students are required to submit a summary of 10 problems at the start of school. There will be a quiz at the end of the first week back from school. Students can bring in completed review pages on the first day of school; student questions will be reviewed, content will not be taught directly.
- Success in Chemistry requires certain basic skills supporting more complex concepts. Honors students are expected to be curious, good with time management, self-directed and able to "think outside the box". This summer review will check your basic skills while involving time management and self-direction.
- For help over the summer, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, Mr Kushner at email@example.com or Mrs. Staley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Review documents will require a submission of a summary assignment. Students will choose a total of 10 problems from the prescribed sections of the 70+ practice problems to submit. The summary sheet consists of demonstrating the solution to a problem, then writing a small description of HOW the problem was solved.
- Through GMAIL: Check your Google e-mails for updates.
- A quiz will be given on these topics at the end of the first week of school. Be ready :)
- Summer Review ANSWER KEY
Step 1: Algebraic Manipulation
- In Chemistry, as in many sciences, it is crucial to have the ability to rearrange an algebraic expression. Using the attached Algebra tutorial, review (or learn) how to rearrange an equation and complete the 4 practice problems.
- Written Tutorial & Prac Ques Algebra
- Chemistry Lesson/Video Lecture: Rearranging algebraic equations
Step 2: Metrics & Measurement
- Chemistry requires a significant understanding of measurements and the metric system. Review the attached tutorial on the metric system and complete the 11 practice problems.
- Written Tutorial & Prac Ques : Metrics & Measurement
- Chemistry Lesson/Video Lecture: Metrics & The Metric System
Step 3: Scientific Notation
- Chemistry calculations can involve some very large and/or very small numbers.Scientific notation provides an efficient way to deal with these numbers. Review the attached tutorial on scientific notation and complete the 9 practice problems.
- Written Tutorial & Prac Ques : Scientific Notation
- Chemistry Lesson/Video Lecture: Scientific Notation
Step 4: Balancing Chemical Equations
- Matter can not be created nor destroyed, it can only be changed to a different form of matter. To help prove this, it is important to be able to balance a chemical equation.
- Khan Academy has a great video lecture on balancing chemical equations. Click here to view the video.
- GetChemistryHelp.com also has a excellent supporting Youtube Video. Click here to view the video.
- Tyler Dewitt is another useful tutorial we will use for supporting information. Click here to view the video.
- Written Tutorial on Balancing Equations
- practice problems.